8 Best Medical Terminology Classes Online With Certifications
Do you know the abdomen’s nine divisions? Are you familiar with the difference between the sagittal plane and the coronal plane? Is it easy for you to locate the ventral body cavities and the dorsal body cavities?
Well, in all honesty, nine out of ten may not be familiar with these things, as their answers are rooted in a specialized vocabulary. Sans any background in healthcare or science, words such as Pygopagus, gonagra, and dysgeusia might seem like a foreign language – almost unknowable.
It is because medicine has a specialized and distinct language. Hence, it is quintessential for the student pursuing a career in medicine to understand the prevalently used communication system. The study of the general rules in medical word building is known as medical terminology.
To be thorough with it all, you must take up a medical terminology class online. When you enroll in the best medical terminology course, you will develop a thorough grounding in basic medical terminology by studying suffixes, prefixes, and root words.
This will give you adequate fluency in medical terms to be a part of the system. But how do you find the best online medical terminology course? Well, fret no more. Our team researched the internet and has come up with a list of the eight top-rated courses.
So let us get started and address these courses one by one.
In This Article:
- Best Medical Terminology Classes Online
- Bonus Online Medical Terminology Courses
8 Best Medical Terminology Classes Online
1. Clinical Terminology for International and U.S. Students – Offered by University of Pittsburgh – [Coursera]
It is not easy to understand the clinical abbreviations and the terms used during both written or verbal communication around the hospitals in America.
This is one of the best courses which is hugely engaging and interactive. It has several quizzes and videos, which can be incredibly beneficial for the learners. For someone who aspires to receive their certification, there is an option to apply for financial aid. Alternatively, of course, you can pay the fee.
|Duration||Approx. 34 hours to complete|
|Instructor||Valerie Swigart and Michael Gold|
|Offered by||University of Pittsburgh|
|Return or refund policy||7-days free trial|
|Cons||Multiple audio issues were found in the quizzes.|
Who should take this course?
This medical terminology certificate online course is suitable for the health care professional students. Further, international practitioners and students who wish to be more familiar with the U.S. clinical setting language will also find this course incredibly helpful.
More so, medical interpreters and caregivers who aspire to develop a greater understanding of medical terms and abbreviations used by the health care providers will also appreciate this course.
A few things that you will learn in this medical terminology class online are:
- Auditory and visual learning experiences to accentuate your knowledge of the prevalently used terms and abbreviations in the general U.S. hospital unit
- Ability to decode the most complex medical terms
- Diseases of the bodily systems
- Understanding of the lab tests and diagnostic procedures
This course has brought a tangible career benefit to about 10 percent of the course students.
This is a 100% online medical terminology certificate online course, which comes with flexible deadlines. However, the course is long. Hence, you must have dedication, time, and willingness to spend that amount of time to take the course. But, it is a beginner-level course. So, no prior training or experience is needed.
Reviews by SL:
Excellent class & experience. I really enjoyed taking this beginner’s course. It was challenging but also extremely informative. I can’t wait to take more in this subject. Thanks for everything!
The next best medical terminology course is a Udemy bestseller. This is a self-paced course wherein the instructor employs tables, pictures, and presentations to engage and interact.
|Return or refund policy||30-Day Money-Back Guarantee|
|Duration||12.5 hours on-demand video|
|Cons||Of course, there are several pictures and videos, but still, the instructor should try to make the course more interactive and engaging.|
A few things that you will learn in this best online medical terminology course are:
- Medical combining forms suffixes, prefixes, and abbreviations
- Physiology basics
- Procedures, therapeutics, and healthcare specialties
- Anatomy of human body systems
- Pathologies and the associated signs and symptoms
- Pathologies and associated pharmacology
This is a beginner-level medical terminology class online with no prerequisites.
Who should take this course?
This medical terminology certificate online is suitable for:
- Social workers
- Pre-med students
- Medical students
- Social workers
- Any curious student, regardless of age.
Reviews by Saadat Bahrami:
Good overall course; however fill in the notes would make it much more easier to follow along instead of writing own notes.
This is the best edX medical terminology course. So, once you are through with the course, it is quite probable that you will have developed a basic understanding of the medical terms. This will make it easy to communicate correctly with your peers in the field.
BIOL-210x medical terminology certificate online course from DoaneX is a credit-eligible course. So, with this course, the learners can experience a similar rigorous university-level course, but at their own pace. So, when the learners pass the medical terminology class online with a grade of C or better, they will earn credits.
- Number of credit hours for BIOL-210x Medical Terminology: 3 credit hours
- Cost: $500 (USD) – pay for credit earned after passing the course with a C or better.
- Learners must opt for the Verified Certificate option.
- Learners must earn a passing grade of a C or better.
- Learners must adhere to the academic integrity policies and the course policies across the course.
|Offered by||Doane University|
|Certification||Only with the paid version|
|Duration||Estimated 8 weeks (5–10 hours per week)|
|Return or refund policy||14 days from the date of payment|
|Cons||Certification can be availed only in paid versions. Further, if you opt for the free course, you will not have access to graded assignments.|
It is an introductory-level edX medical terminology course. In this online medical terminology course, your instructor will discuss terms related to diagnostic tests, pathology, physiology and anatomy of the different systems.
But you need no prior knowledge of them to start. Hence there are absolutely no prerequisites, to begin with, this online medical terminology course.
Please know, this best medical terminology course will bag you credits via the Doane University’s Open Learning Academy. So, this Open Learning Academy’s course is designed to provide the learners with basic coursework to prepare them for the undergraduate level programs.
So, before you apply for this course, it is vital to get in touch with the institution you are planning to study with to know how the credits will be applied to their degree requirements before the transfer of credit.
Some things to learn in this medical terminology certificate online class are:
- Interpreting and identifying the standard suffixes or prefixes used in medical terms
- Understanding the meaning of stem words to break down the complex terms and their components to comprehend their meaning
- Using prevalent medical abbreviations in typical medical documents for interpreting a physician’s shortened notes
- Writing and application of the medical terms in a suitable context in reports and other forms of medical documentation
Knowledge of medical terminology is vital in almost every healthcare profession. In this online medical terminology course, you will refresh your terminology knowledge or develop your understanding of medical terms. This course is nationally accredited via Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC).
|Duration||1 to 5 months|
|Return or refund policy||Full refund if you cancel within 6 days of enrollment.|
After the first 6 days your refund amount will be based on:
|Cons||Though it is a great course, the fee for the course is quite high.|
Some things you will learn in this medical terminology class online are:
- Recognizing word construction
- Knowledge of the meanings of medical terms vital in medical language
- The terminology used in diagnostics, including body structures
- Distinguishing medical terms related to reproductive systems, nervous systems, and digestive systems by their component parts
- Distinguishing medical terms related to respiratory systems, circulatory systems, and musculoskeletal systems
It is a self-paced medical terminology class online. So, it is 100% online. Hence, it would help if you had the motivation, time, and drive to complete the course.
Who should take this course?
This is the best suited course for:
- Healthcare professionals wanting to brush their knowledge
- Anyone into patient care
- Those applying for a medical administrative job
Bonus Courses for Medical Terminology
The language spoken in the healthcare environment is known as medical terminology. To be a part of the field, you, too, must have a thorough understanding of the language.
Understanding the terminology will make it easier for you to communicate and ensure seamless operation between non-clinical staff, physicians, and healthcare organizations.
For medical billers and coders, the job performance will depend on fluency in the medical terminology. So, if you are new to the healthcare sector and wish to start a career in medical billing and coding, this is the online medical terminology course for you.
This is the best medical terminology class online as it helps you earn 20 CEUs upon successful completion.
- With this best online medical terminology course, you will develop an understanding of billing and coding techniques.
- The course will help you learn techniques to excel in CPC and CPB exams
- Help you succeed in the medical field
- Know the components for a thorough mastery of medical terms
- Be thorough with the directional orientations and terms to showcase anatomic locations
- Well-acquainted with the body systems, such as diseases, structures, and medical treatments
- Identifying the role of the four kinds of words in the medical terms
- Analyzing some unfamiliar medical terms
- Defining anatomy and physiology
Who should take this course?
This medical terminology certificate online is strongly recommended for students who plan to take the CPC, COC, CIC, CRC, or CPB online courses.
Further, medical coders and billers will find this course helpful. The benefits of this course go beyond just coding and billing. Hence, even those in non-clinical healthcare careers can benefit from the course.
Overall, students studying to be a medical transcriber, medical records technician, charge description master (CDM) analyst, HEDIS abstractor, medical scribe, fraud investigator, patient service representative, or a cancer registrar will find this the best medical terminology course.
More so, people returning to the healthcare sector after a break will also find the course helpful. Professionals venturing into a medical field or specialty will also find the medical vocabulary course beneficial.
Reviews by Douglas Lang:
Great value course. Lots of medical terminology information!
The next online medical terminology course is a quick, easy, fast, and engaging way to learn medical meanings and words. Your instructors for this course are Donald Matz, Ph.D. faculty consultant, and William J. Dyche, Ph.D. program author.
In this best medical terminology course, you have two options.
Option 1 – Free Medical Terminology Course
Who should take this course?
This online medical terminology course is ideal for anyone interested in understanding common medical words and meanings but does not need authentication of their knowledge.
When you opt for the free course, you get access to all the 15 modules, but you do not have to pay any price.
What’s not included?
Since the course is free, you will not be able to track the course progress. So, DMU cannot use any metric to confirm whether you have completed the course or not. Also, you do not earn a certificate of completion.
Option 2 – Paid Online Medical Terminology Course
Who should take this medical terminology certificate online?
This online medical terminology course is suitable for you when this course is a:
- Prerequisite for employment
- Prerequisite for an academic program or a college degree you have enrolled for
- Provision for any opportunity wherein medical terminology knowledge is mandatory
However, whether you opt for the paid or the free version, you are not eligible for any academic credit or a grade from Des Moines University.
What do you get?
- Audio pronunciation of medical terms
- Post-module assessments and 30 questions final quiz that confirms that you know all the medical terms
- Attendance certificate for 2.0 contact hours
The next online medical terminology course is a course by CIP. It is a self-paced course that provides you with new and applicable knowledge of medical terms. The best thing about this course is following the completion; you can bag a certificate in as little as a month.
This course is the best medical terminology course as it has scored the 95th percentile of QM-approved online content. Across the course, you will find engaging video content. There is also an array of interactive activities and captivating curriculum content included in the course.
Once you register for this certification, you get yearly access to all the resource content by Dr. Seigfred Fagerberg included in the course.
In this course, you will learn an array of things, such as:
- Familiarity with terms in anatomy, pathophysiology, diseases, disorders, conditions, medical equipment, diagnosis, prognosis and treatment
- Verbal skills necessary for professional school admissions tests
- Vital skills and knowledge required to succeed in today’s growing healthcare fields
Now, we have arrived at the last medical terminology class online on our list. This course sets the foundation for a lasting healthcare career. It is a 100% online course. So, you can take it anytime and anywhere at your convenience.
More so, the course allows flexible payment options. So, you can learn with it, sans any loan requirement. So, get set ready to amplify your opportunities and be a pro in the healthcare sector. You can finish the course in just as little as three months.
- This course will provide you with all the real-world knowledge required in several general healthcare settings, from medical practices to clinics and hospitals.
- Knowledge of the terms used for different diseases, anatomy, and treatments to keep the bodies functioning well
In this course, you get:
- Medical Terminology Textbook
- BinderTM mobile app for learning on-the-go
- Online Resource Learning Center
- Access to multiple resources with ProQuest® digital
- Online learning community of fellow students, staff, and grads
So, these are the eight best online medical terminology courses. With this guide, we have tried to include all details around the courses. However, if you need additional information, such as the course fee, instructor bio, reviews on the course, and the enrolment date, you will have to check out the links annexed.
These are vital metrics and should be considered when picking the right medical terminology class online for your requirements. However, irrespective of your selection, you will not regret your choice as these are all the best courses. So, go ahead, take your pick. Keep upskilling!